I’ve heard it several times this weekend. I’m supposed to be respect religious beliefs. I’ve been answering that I can respect a person, but I have no obligation whatsoever to respect an unsupported belief.
And to be honest, I’m even willing to give some ground on unsupported beliefs to a degree. But let’s understand what we’re dealing with here.
If you were to walk up to me and tell me that aliens had invisible milk beams going into everyone’s heads, and that if we didn’t start eating pickles while standing on our heads, the aliens were going to flood the planet with slightly spoiled milk, well, no, I don’t have to respect that belief. I will respect you, and, if I know you personally, I might try to see that you get some professional help, but your belief? I’m honestly not going to respect it.
And this is, admittedly, a ridiculous example. But that’s the entire point. When you start talking about the earth being 6000 years old and that flood thing; when you start talking about an invisible mind reading god; when you start talking about clasping our hands together and telepathically begging a dude who died 2000 years ago if he lived at all to save your Aunt Sally from her hemorrhoids; when you talk about people being punished in everlasting eternity for thought crimes; when you talk about the aforementioned dead dude coming back and sending the “good” people to heaven and the “bad” people to hell…
…it sounds EXACTLY as ridiculous to me. It is JUST AS BAD! I kid you not.
The only difference is that I won’t try to get you professional help because you’ve been indoctrinated in a cult-like system that you’ve been fooled by, the same as billions of others.
But if you mention the ark, you might just as well be talking about turtles holding up the earth.
I’m not going to respect that! Are you kidding me? NO! It’s not going to happen!
And it honestly takes a large amount of effort not to laugh in your face about it sometimes. I really try not to do this, because it helps no one and it just makes communications between us harder. But the ideas are THAT silly. I want to laugh at them because I find it hard to believe that you believe in them too, and I want to laugh at the joke with you, and that you don’t see them as funny is funny in itself because they’re so silly…
Now, if you’re one to say that you feel that there must be some kind of higher power, but you don’t know the nature of it, then, while I’m still not going to agree with you, I’m not going to argue with you about it either unless you ask me to.
But I’m not going to respect a belief that involves a 6000 year old earth or a world-wide flood. There is simply no way it’s going to happen.
- damnedbyknowledge likes this
- asocial-vegan-freak reblogged this from airicamichelle
- asocial-vegan-freak likes this
- steampunkbanana likes this
- mcdickly likes this
- mickerz90 reblogged this from airicamichelle and added:
- quixylvre likes this
- hisnameinvain likes this
- relivebeginagain likes this
- divineirony reblogged this from skepticalavenger
- 57overlandersbrigade reblogged this from brightstartheory
- brightstartheory reblogged this from normandy-actual
- amarissakura reblogged this from airicamichelle and added:
- feytaline reblogged this from dapatches
- feytaline likes this
- willawrites likes this
- titowpuente reblogged this from skepticalavenger
- titowpuente likes this
- andrew-collin reblogged this from massn3rder
- andrew-collin likes this
- formiication likes this
- theelyciumfields likes this
- sassylucifer likes this
- oneturianwoman likes this
- unicornfairyprincess likes this
- itslennybitch reblogged this from christinsanity
- xchelsemilyy likes this
- brokensoulessdreams likes this
- justnodandsmile likes this
- janeuncensored likes this
- darthshadow likes this
- damnedbyknowledge reblogged this from skepticalavenger
- aidancross likes this
- jolietjakemcfly reblogged this from skepticalavenger
- delightfulyme likes this
- vapid-acid likes this
- theatheistclub reblogged this from skepticalavenger and added:
- phoenvix reblogged this from infamousnfamous and added:
- babysmurf likes this
- feministpizza likes this
- catsayswhat likes this
- shecountsblacksheep likes this
- infamousnfamous reblogged this from skepticalavenger and added:
- silentless likes this
- bonwor likes this
- skepticalavenger reblogged this from normandy-actual and added:
- pelfries reblogged this from airicamichelle
- pelfries likes this
- daemonica likes this
- from300to300 likes this